{:en}Is Quantum the Savior of Computers?{:}{:id}’Quantum’ Penyelamat Komputer?{:}

{:en}Quantum always sounds mysterious. Even the letter Q is mysterious. Quantum has become popular and its name has been made a brand, but it is actually not understood. Quantum contrasts with classical physics and all of our intuitions. Engineering avoids this branch of science because it is too theoretical and cannot be applied. But this is probably the only hope to avoid the end of computer’s advances. Although we are always surprised to see new computer models appear every month, theoretically, there is an end. Today’s computing – conventional computers – is done by transistors and the speed depends on the size of the transistor. The progress of computers that has been happening until now  is because transistors are getting smaller. In the 1960s, Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, said that the number of transistors per square inch would double every year. One day, transistors could be as large as one atom and Richard Feynmann, the greatest physicist since Albert Einstein, argued that this was the smallest possible transistor size. Surely it is an extraordinary success to be able to reach that size, but is this really the end of computer progress? With Quantum Computer, the answer is no. Quantum Computer, in contrast to many other terms, does use quantum phenomena that conventional computers cannot replicate. This is not an ordinary computer development, but a completely new concept. Quantum Computer can process much faster than conventional computers. Basically, quantum computers can process in parallel, so that they compute much faster. For 1,000,000 data, conventional computers need 500,000 calculations, while Quantum Computer only needs 1000. That means it can be 500 times faster! This can only be achieved with Quantum theory. Quantum, contrary to our intuition, says that nothing is certain. A particle cannot be said to be somewhere, but it has only a probability called a wave function. If we try to find atoms with even the most sophisticated microscopes, we will not be able to know exactly where the atoms are. This is not a lack of tools, this is a strange characteristic of nature itself. When observed, this wave function collapses and the particle becomes real (therefore, we never see a wave function). Suppose something particle can only be in two conditions, A or B. If we observe, we will get A or B, alternately. But as long as it is not observed, the particle will be at A and B together (the particle is in the superposition of A and B). Like someone confused about choosing chicken and fish in a restaurant, he would as long as possible hold back the decision and look at the menu, thinking, until the waiter arrived and he finally had to order one. But before the servant (observer) comes, he is in a superposition of chicken and fish. Erwin Schrödinger, the inventor of this uncertainty principle, in Schrödinger’s Cat imaginary experiment, even proved that before being observed, cats in their experiments could be alive and dead at the same time – alive and dead too! This strange and confusing nature is actually relied upon by Quantum Computer. As great as a conventional computer is, it always works with bits, binary numbers that can only be 1 or 0. Quantum Computer can escape this limitation because it can be in a superposition of 1 and 0 at the same time. This number is called qubits (quantum bits, of course) which can be 1, can be 0, or can be between 1 and 0 – remember, this does not mean 0.6 but 60% probability of A and 40% probability of B. The qubits used are spins of atoms or electrons. Spin, which has no analogy in classical physics, is the nature of a particle that has two alternatives, up or down. We can assume that up is 1 and down is 0. As long as it is not observed, qubits can be in the superposition of ups and downs, and interact with other qubits. Two qubits can be in four states at once: 00, 10, 01 and 11; four qubits can be in eight states at once. A quantum computer with 100 qubits can process 2,100 states together, just like a conventional computer with 1030 processors! Is it true that Quantum Computer can be made? The answer is Quantum Computer has been created! In 2000, IBM made quantum computers with 5 qubits and atoms as processors. The question now is whether this quantum computer can be economical for everyone. With extraordinary potential, quantum is certainly not only glimpsed by theoretical physics but also by engineering. One day, and maybe soon, we can just see Quantum Computer not as a dream but as an engineering lecture. Aree Witoelar, an alumnus of Engineering Physics from ITB, is completing a Master’s program at the University of Groningen, The Netherlands. Source: Pikiran Rakyat{:}{:id}

Quantum selalu terdengar misterius. Huruf Q saja sudah misterius. Quantum sudah menjadi populer, dijadikan merk, tetapi sebetulnya tidak dimengerti. Quantum berlawanan dari fisika klasik dan semua intuisi kita. Engineering menghindari ilmu ini karena terlalu teoritis dan tidak bisa diaplikasi. Tapi ini mungkin adalah satu-satunya harapan untuk menghindari akhir dari kemajuan komputer.

Meskipun kita selalu heran melihat model komputer baru muncul setiap bulan, secara teoritis ini ada ujungnya. Komputasi masa kini – komputer konvensional – dikerjakan oleh transistor, dan kecepatannya bergantung pada ukuran transistor. Kemajuan komputer yang sampai sekarang terjadi adalah karena transistor menjadi semakin kecil. Gordon Moore, co-founder dari Intel, pada tahun 60-an berkata, jumlah transistor per inchi persegi akan berlipat dua kali setiap tahun.

Suatu hari transistor itu bisa menjadi sebesar satu atom dan Richard Feynmann, fisikawan terhebat sejak Albert Einstein, berpendapat bahwa ini adalah ukuran transistor terkecil yang mungkin. Tentunya ini keberhasilan luar bisa untuk mencapai ukuran itu, namun apakah ini betul-betul akhir dari kemajuan komputer? Tidak, dengan adanya Quantum Computer. Quantum Computer, berbeda dengan banyak istilah lain, memang memakai fenomena quantum yang tidak bisa ditiru komputer konvensional. Ini bukan pengembangan komputer biasa, melainkan konsep yang baru sama sekali.

Quantum Computer dapat memproses jauh lebih cepat daripada komputer konvensional. Pada dasarnya, quantum computer dapat memproses secara paralel, sehingga berkomputasi jauh lebih cepat. Untuk 1.000.000 data, komputer convensional perlu 500.000 perhitungan, sedangkan Quantum Computer hanya perlu 1000. Artinya, bisa 500 kali lebih cepat! Ini hanya bisa dicapai dengan teori Quantum. Quantum, berlawanan dari intuisi kita, berkata bahwa tidak ada sesuatu yang pasti. Sebuah partikel tidak bisa dikatakan pasti berada di suatu tempat, melainkan hanya probabilitas yang disebut fungsi gelombang.

Kalau kita mencoba mencari atom dengan mikroskop tercanggih pun, kita tidak akan bisa tahu persis di mana atom itu berada. Ini bukan kekurangan pada alat, ini adalah sifat alam itu sendiri yang aneh. Pada saat diamati, fungsi gelombang ini runtuh dan partikel itu menjadi nyata (karena itu, kita tidak pernah melihat sebuah fungsi gelombang). Misal sesuatu partikel hanya mungkin bisa berada dalam dua kondisi A atau B. Kalau kita amati, akan kita peroleh A atau B, bergantian. Namun selama tidak diamati, partikel itu akan berada pada A dan B bersamaan (partikel itu berada dalam superposisi dari A dan B).

Seperti seseorang bingung memilih antara ayam dan ikan di restoran, dia akan selama mungkin menahan keputusan dan melihat menu terus, berpikir, sampai saat pelayan datang dan dia akhirnya harus memesan salah satu. Tetapi sebelum pelayan (pengamat) datang, dia berada dalam superposisi dari ayam dan ikan.

Erwin Schrvdinger, penemu prinsip ketidakpastian ini, dalam eksperimen khayalan Schrvdinger’s Cat, bahkan membuktikan bahwa sebelum diamati, kucing dalam eksperimennya bisa berada dalam keadaan hidup dan mati sekaligus – hidup juga dan mati juga!

Sifat yang aneh dan membingungkan ini justru diandalkan Quantum Computer. Sehebat-hebatnya komputer konvensional, dia selalu bekerja dengan bits, angka biner yang hanya bisa 1 atau 0. Quantum Computer bisa lepas dari restriksi ini, karena bisa berada dalam keadaan superposisi 1 dan 0 pada saat yang sama. Angka ini dinamai qubits (quantum bits, tentunya) yang bisa 1, bisa 0 atau bisa berada di antara 1 dan 0 – ingat, ini bukan berarti 0,6 melainkan 60% probabilitas A dan 40% probabilitas B.

Qubits yang digunakan adalah spin dari atom atau elektron. Spin yang tidak ada analogi di fisika klasik adalah sifat suatu partikel yang memiliki dua alternatif, up atau down. Kita bisa menganggap bahwa up adalah 1 dan down adalah 0. Selama tidak diamati, qubits bisa berada dalam superposisi dari up dan down, dan berinteraksi dengan qubits lain. Dua qubits bisa berada dalam empat keadaan sekaligus: 00, 10, 01 dan 11; empat qubits bisa delapan keadaan sekaligus. Sebuah quantum computer dengan 100 qubits bisa memproses 2100 keadaan bersamaan, sama seperti komputer konvensional dengan 1030 prosesor!

Apakah betul Quantum Computer ini bisa dibuat? Jawabannya, Quantum Computer sudah pernah dibuat! Tahun 2000, IBM sudah membuat quantum computer dengan 5 qubits dengan atom sebagai prosesornya.

Pertanyaanya kini, apakah quantum computer ini bisa ekonomis untuk semua orang? Dengan potensi yang luar biasa, tentunya quantum tidak hanya dilirik oleh fisika teori tapi juga oleh engineering. Suatu hari, dan mungkin tidak lama lagi, kita bisa saja melihat Quantum Computer bukan sebagai impian tapi sebagai kuliah teknik.

Aree Witoelar, Alumnus Teknik Fisika ITB, sedang menyelesaikan program Master di University of Groningen, Belanda.

Sumber: Pikiran Rakyat

{:}
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp

Dicari Kontributor Web Fisika

Anda ingin bergelut di dunia jurnalisme sains, sembari berkontribusi membangun web jurusan?

Ayo Tunggu Apalagi

Daftarkan diri anda, untuk kemajuan bersama
Daftar
0 0 vote
Rating Artikel
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Respon
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
id_IDBahasa Indonesia